Okay, I had time to do a build of 1.0.0e with ssl/tls1.h
patched to #define TLS1_ALLOW_EXPERIMENTAL_CIPHERSUITES 1 .
It works as I expected: the 4 EXP1024 ciphers excluding the
#if 0'ed MD5 ones plus DHE-DSS-RC4-SHA appear in ciphers -v,
and can be selected (and used!) by s_server and s_client.

Make sure you are building the version you patched
and using (running,linking) the version you built.