Hello,

My PKI is currently running on a 32 bit machine with Open SSL version 0.9.8 suffering from the Y2038 bug. Another 64 bit machine does not show that bug.

What I need for now is a CA certificate for signing which should have a validity that extends beyond 2038, say 2050. I can create such a certificate on the 64 bit machine, no problem. If I use this certificate on the 32 bit machine to sign certificates created on the 32 bit machine, will this work, i.e. will the Y2038 bug not show up as long as the certificate I am signing expires before the critical date? Or: will Open SSL on the 32 bit machine deal correctly with the signing certificate that expires 2050, even though it can't create such a certificate?

many thanks Felix