Hi Erwann,

you can't revoke a root CA by the means of a CRL. This works only out-of-band,
i.e. you have to declare that the root CA in question is revoked and spread the
news to all your customers.

The problem here is that you can't trust a CRL when its signature key is
compromised.

The X.509 2008 edition category b) concept that you cite is new to me and
according to my understanding of PKI this doesn't make sense, because there is
no trust relationship between any self signed keys, so I can't trust that key 2
has any relationship to key 1, specially not to issue its CRLs.

Patrick Eisenacher