I would like to follow up on the path that Robin provided to fix bug
associated with DTLS issue when using ECC keypair.

In summary, I was able to apply the patch into openssl-1.0.0e.  I verified
that the patch fixed the issued associated with bad encryption error.  I
verified the dtls1 connection (s_client and s_server) with and without
-Verify at the server.  The server, issuing CA, and root CA use prime256v1
curve. The cert signature is ecdsa-with-sha256.

Thanks to  Robin.

Erwin