I have an easy solution I use because not only do you have the problem with admins not having the library installed, you have the problem of them having the wrong version installed for something they need. Your app or theirs won't work. Or yours will, and they update openssl and it no longer does. And some places with strict security policies won't let you install things like openssl (but if they want your app they have to install it!). I simply build the static libraries and link them in. This means nothing need exist on the target machine and that you have a more stable product because you have tested against the library version you have static linked. You could argue it makes the program bigger and my answer is -- say what? My iPod could handle my entire business suite and data (for disk space, not actually running) -- so who cares. I have found this is often the easiest way to go. I also make a small wrapper that only builds certs from openssl and uses a different name, again making it appear to be my software. I also allow them to use a Web interface to my site to make a cert and download it. Eric