Bonjour,

Le 21/05/2012 14:10, Serge Emantayev a écrit :
Hello openSSL gurus,

I faced an issue of pathlen constraint checking by openSSL when verifying the
client certificate. I did few studies for how openSSL does that and I
appreciate your assistance on clarifying the issue.

1. The certificate chain with a pathlen constraint defined in a root CA:
Root CA, pathlen:1
  \ policy CA, pathlen:none
     \ issuer CA, pathlen:none
        \ client certificate

In the first case openSSL does not verify the certificate correctly (i.e. the
verification succeeds). It ignores the pathlen constraint defined in the root
CA.

This is conformant with X.509. The basicConstraints extension is not taken in consideration if present in a trust anchor (a root certificate is a trust anchor). Download X.509 recommendation, see chapter 10 (from memory), the validation algorithm is described.

--
Erwann ABALEA
-----