I'm having an issue upgrading to 0.9.8x on Solaris 9 where ./config yields the
following:

Operating system: sun4u-whatever-solaris2
NOTICE! If you *know* that your GNU C supports 64-bit/V9 ABI
        and wish to build 64-bit library, then you have to
        invoke './Configure solaris64-sparcv9-gcc' *manually*.
         You have about 5 seconds to press Ctrl-C to abort.
Can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
Can't open /dev/null: No such file or directory
You need Perl 5.

A quick look with perl -v tells me:

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for sun4-solaris

Is Perl v5.8.8 not sufficent for "Perl 5" or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance