The only limit check that I know is performed is if the modulus is strictly larger than OPENSSL_RSA_SMALL_MODULUS_BITS bits (3072 by default), then the public exponent must be less then or equal to OPENSSL_RSA_MAX_PUBEXP_BITS bits (64 by default).

You can then have a 3072bits RSA key with a public exponent of any size. Or a 3073bits RSA key with a public exponent limited to 64bits.

Other than for performance, I don't see any reason to limit the size of the public exponent.

--
Erwann ABALEA