Tests passed with no-asm
I checked my nasm version and I was using an old release candidate
from 2010, 2.09rc6
Updated to version 2.10.05 from
http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/?C=M;O=D

Tests passed without the no-asm option in this case so we can say that
a newer version of nasm than 2.09rc6 is required

Thanks for your help. I haven't checked yet but it seems likely this
will fix my curl problem.

May I suggest updating the INSTALL.W32 file to point to
http://www.nasm.us instead of the old sourceforge address and perhaps
suggest some recent version of nasm known to work.

thanks again,

James