On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Sanford Staab <sanfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been struggling with openssl for a few months now writing batch
> scripts on windows trying to make a .net web client with a client
> certificate work with 2-way ssl against an apache web server.
>
> Do you guys just want to continue to answer questions on this alias and not
> FIX the docs somewhat over time?  I could go into a litany of how much
> information is just missing from the docs with INCOMPLETE everywhere.  (see
> this link for one of the 900k+ hits on a google search of
> “openssl+docs+suck” for how much hell you guys are putting people through
> trying to figure out this tool
OpenSSL has a book by Viega, Messier, and Chandra (though its a bit
dated). It will get you through most of the basics when using the API
set. Its what I used years ago.

If its any consolation, NSS's documentation is even worse. I banned
NSS's use in code under my purview because I could not ensure it was
being used correctly (that's how shitty their docs were at the time).
Its a shame that Mozilla makes millions being Google's whore and it
could not even hire a technical writer to produce a decent set of
documents (perhaps that's changed now).

Jeff