From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]
On Behalf Of Erik Tkal
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:17 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: RE: OpenSSL/FIPS Object Module and FIPS compliance - testing some
assertions

The term 'FIPS compliant' does not refer to the software capability, but to the
implementation used to perform the cryptographic operations.  If only one end
of your connection is in FIPS mode then the full end to end path is not
necessarily FIPS compliant.  In fact, without some out-of-band mechanism there
is no way to determine what implementation is being used on the other end since
the wire protocol is the same.  Otherwise the most you can say is that your end
of the connection is FIPS compliant.

You can still utilize FIPS approved algorithms without guaranteeing FIPS
compliance.

Erik Tkal
Juniper OAC/UAC/Pulse Development