On 03/09/2013 10:40 AM, Kyle Hamilton wrote:
> Create a new self-signed client CA certificate with the same key and
> Subject, setting the Issuer to the Subject of the client CA, and signed
> with the client CA private key.  Use this as your client-authenticatior
> "root".

Well yes.  I know I could workaround this by creating a self-signed root
for the clients.  The point of the question is how to do this with a
hierarchy like the one I've described.

It's becoming pretty clear that OpenSSL doesn't provide a simple way to
do this today.  (X509_V_FLAG_PARTIAL_CHAIN will probably enable this,
but it will be years before that makes its way into slower moving
distributions.)

> Alternatively, you might play around with policies, but that relies on
> your hierarchy already having policies in its certificates.

My current thinking is that I should be able to do it with a validation
callback.  I haven't worked out the details yet.