Le 15/03/2013 13:54, Ewen Chan a écrit :
Sorry, my bad. Wrong terminology.

(The AES wiki says that it uses a key.) But I was really thinking
about multiple passphrases.

And from this passphrase, a key and IV can be generated. It's more easy to remember a passphrase than a bunch of hex digits.

Sorry for the mix up.

So let's say I have three files:
file1
file2
file3

And then I have a passphrase file that contains the following:

Alice
Bob
Charlie

and I want to encrypt file1 with the passphrase "Alice"; file2 with
the passphrase "Bob" and file3 with the passphrase "Charlie".

Is there a way to get openssl to automatically do that or do I need to
write a program/shell script so that I will automatically increment
one and pull the passphrase from the appropriate passphrase file?

The openssl command-line tool doesn't do that. It can work with one passphrase file per file, or you can provide the passphrase as an argument. If you want to centralize your passphrases, you'll have to write some kind of wrapper to extract the good passphrase and provide it to "openssl enc" (either in a dedicated file, or as an argument).

(Disclaimer: I am NOT a programmer. At all. By ANY stretch of the imagination.)

Nobody's perfect :D