Hi,

We are switching to our own CA for in house networking. To test I've used it to sign a server certificate and a client certificate. The subject and issuer output for all three certificates is...
...CA:
$ openssl x509 -subject -issuer -noout -in gandalf_cacert.pem
subject= /O=myCompany/emailAddress=em...@mydomain.net/L=myCity/ST=myState/C=XX/CN=LJB issuer= /O=myCompany/emailAddress=em...@mydomain.net/L=myCity/ST=myState/C=XX/CN=LJB

...server:
$ openssl x509 -subject -issuer -noout -in server5_cert.pem
subject= /C=XX/ST=myState/O=myCompany/CN=server5
issuer= /O=myCompany/emailAddress=em...@mydomain.net/L=myCity/ST=myState/C=XX/CN=LJB

...client:
$ openssl x509 -subject -issuer -noout -in ecPub.crt
subject= /CN=be2576a357228b303189ab62bd2497807d2276493ddfc6fd037a0c8fc6e9ac9a/C=za/emailAddress=a@b.c issuer= /O=myCompany/emailAddress=em...@mydomain.net/L=myCity/ST=myState/C=XX/CN=LJB

When I use these certificates with s_client and s_server and force client authentication the connection is established but on the server output I see three errors:
:
SSL_accept:before/accept initialization
SSL_accept:SSLv3 read client hello A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write server hello A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write certificate A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write key exchange A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write certificate request A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 flush data
depth=0 CN = be2576a357228b303189ab62bd2497807d2276493ddfc6fd037a0c8fc6e9ac9a, C = za, emailAddress = a@b.c
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 CN = be2576a357228b303189ab62bd2497807d2276493ddfc6fd037a0c8fc6e9ac9a, C = za, emailAddress = a@b.c
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
depth=0 CN = be2576a357228b303189ab62bd2497807d2276493ddfc6fd037a0c8fc6e9ac9a, C = za, emailAddress = a@b.c
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
SSL_accept:SSLv3 read client certificate A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 read client key exchange A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 read certificate verify A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 read finished A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write session ticket A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_accept:SSLv3 flush data
:

My server commandline is:
$ openssl s_server -accept 9999 -CAfile gandalf_cacert.pem -cert server5_cert.pem -key server5_privkey.pem -Verify 10 -tls1 -state

My client commandline is:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:9999 -CAfile gandalf_cacert.pem -cert ecPub.crt -key ecPriv.key -showcerts

QUESTION:
Should I worry about these errors, since it seems that the connection is established and the client is authenticated? I just do not understand them since I do specify the CA file?

Regards,
LJB