On 04/12/2014 07:37 AM, Geoffrey Coram wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 23:50, Kyle Hamilton <aerow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Teach me to ask a question without reading the entire thread.
>>
>> At what point would the break-even cost make sense to form a
>> non-profit entity?
>>
>> -Kyle H
>

> It costs $500-$750 to file for tax-exempt status (501c3); then you
> have to file a return every year.  There's no filing fee, but you do
> have to have someone willing to do it, or you have to pay an
> accountant. ...

OSF uses a professional accounting and law firm, and spends many
thousands a year on their services. That's not a job for amateurs, as I
learned three decades ago when I did all the taxes for my first little
company myself.

> The other benefit to OpenSSL would be eligibility for various grants
> and matching gift programs, many of which are restricted to registered
> non-profits.  I don't know if there are any such grants that would
> consider OpenSSL.

With total annual donations never exceeding (until recently) ~$2K, it
clearly didn't make sense to incur the extra expense and hassle of
non-profit status. If it did make sense I'd set up a 501(c)(3) in a
heartbeat (pun intended); I understand some open source organizations do
it both ways, with both a for-profit and non-profit component (Mozilla
for instance).

And by "I'd set up" I mean we'd pay our lawyers and accountants to make
it happen. Having founded or co-founded five companies in my life, and
paid the bills for the associated professional services, I can tell you
that you don't just "set up" a corporation for "$500-$750". Not a real
functioning entity with real clients and real revenues, insurance,
employees, subcontractors, etc.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess