On 04/11/2014 06:50 PM, Geoffrey Coram wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <r.ted.by...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
>> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
>> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
>> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
>> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
>> page.
>
> PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
> qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.

The OpenSSl Software Foundation is *not* a 501(c)(3) corporation (aka
"non-profit"). That was on advice of our attorneys and accountants when
it was first created. Non-profit status is really only meaningful to
individual ("1040") taxpayers in the U.S. On the flip side maintaining a
501(c)(3) is more expensive in paperwork costs. With donations normally
only yielding a few thousand dollars annually (and much of that from
outside the U.S. at that) there was no net gain from a formal non-profit
status. As much as I like our attorneys and accountants we want funding
to support OpenSSL and not the legal and accounting professions.

If there was enough money at stake then I would run not walk to said
attorney and accountants and pay them to create/convert an appropriate
non-profit legal entity. I don't see that making financial sense though,
even with the recent boost in donations.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.