I don't know the answer to your main question, but:

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:41:20 +0200
steff...@gmx.de wrote:

> I need to change this do sha1 because I have clients that do not
> accept md5 anymore.

If you use SHA256 you won't have to do this again in a few years.
(Microsoft announced to deprecated sha1 signed certs at some point)

> Is there any way to convert the existing cert
> from md5 to sha1 ? I tried converting it to another format and then
> reimporting it using -sha1 but this doesn't work.

I think it should be somehow possible to create a cert with all the
same parameters and just a new signature, but I'm not sure. Others may
know more.

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/