On 4/25/2014 9:33 PM, Awi wrote:

As a US based organization, Apache is unsuited and (given fairly recent
public news) untrusted to have any power of a project such as OpenSSL.

Additionally, the Apache foundation has accumulated so many important
projects over the last few years that it they are becoming a single
point of failure for too many things (or "too big to fail" as it is
called in some other sectors).

Thus I think a different organization would be needed if OpenSSL were
to give up its independence.

There is a similar thread on the openssl-dev mailing list and it was
mentioned there about this project:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/24/5646178/google-microsoft-and-facebook-launch-project-to-stop-the

So it's likely that in one way or another OpenSSL will be influenced by
US based organization(s).

The involvement of Microsoft, makes this initiative highly suspect, and I wish the Linux Foundation had told them to get lost. Ever since its
foundation, Microsoft has used every underhanded trick in the book to
sabotage open source projects (just remember Bill Gates open letter
on the subject decades ago).

As long as Microsoft, Oracle etc. (or any of their friends) have any
direct or indirect influence over this fund, it should be shunned like
poison, even by projects not concerned with specific issues of US
influence.

I guess someone at the Linux Foundation got caught up in the heartbleed
panic and fell for the "We must do something, this is something, so we
must do this" fallacy.

Note that I am not an FSF fanatic, I truly believe in the cooperation
of open and closed source projects, and make my living from closed
source.  But I am sufficiently experienced to see the damage certain
other closed source companies can and will do to open source projects
relied upon by other companies.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10