Hello,
I did the job many times, last with openssl V100a and V102, using MS EVC compiler instead of Visual Studio.

You will find instructions here (from start to end, but it is a long process anyway, and you have to be very careful in modifying various files and scripts...):

http://delaage.pierre.free.fr/

There is a lot of compilation issues to compile for WCE.
As said, I am NOT using VC compiler, but a free compiler for WCE from MS, called EVC.

*** PLEASE note that the EVC download URL has changed (I have to update my webpage), and that you will NOT find it on MS website easily :
many links there are removed and/or broken.

EVC4 is now there :
http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/3/F/C3F8B58B-9753-4C2E-8B96-2DFE3476A2F7/eVC4.exe

Then follow my instructions to update it, get the SDK and so on...

Basically, compilations options are very similar to ones for VC, but you have also to use the proper WCE SDK, and take care to adapt some script from MS that are NOT always instantly usable "as is".

See my web page for guidelines for that.

I presently do not have time to recompile the last version of openssl.
And some issues around my patches are to be clarified with openssl team before being included in the openssl mainstream.

On my page, you will find specific instructions to compile the extra lib "wcecompat".

*** Moreover, you should read carefully the thread that you have given link to...
In that discussion, I said this

"
on that page you can find a patch to compile V1.0.2 without FIPS on WCE :
http://rt.openssl.org/index.html?q=2350
(user guest / password guest).
Particularly check the 2012 contribution.
"

This is still relevant.

Best regards,
Pierre Delaage