From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]
On Behalf Of Steve Marquess
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:26 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Platinum Sponsorship by Huawei

On 05/28/2014 05:18 PM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> On 05/28/2014 10:05 PM, Steve Marquess wrote:
>> Please accept our thanks as you have saved us a lot of time and money
>
> Yes, quite an understatement :\
>
> Now a state sponsored company is sponsoring openssl.org? The bigger
> the country, the higher the stakes and thus also the measures to
> safeguard them.

I believe this offer was sincere. They agreed immediately, clearly, and
specifically in writing that their sponsorship was a "no strings"
donation with no obligations or expectations of anything in return from the
OpenSSL project. I would just as gladly accept donations under similar terms
directly from any company or any government.

> And what does it help if the developers of openssl are still not
> taking their responsibility for the quality of their product(s)?!

Ah, but how do you "take responsibility" when your workforce is basically one
guy with his finger in the dike? Lots of spectators and armchair quarterbacks,
but a really big dike.

How about passing judgment on responsibility *after* we've had a chance to
leverage this very recent financial support into some more dedicated manpower?

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.