well... the performance loss would be high, I know that from other applications.

Also, each server (there are 50) would need it's own 'proxy' that probably is a little impractical.

We're moving a lot of data... machines that cache run out of memory to actually cache in no time. caching would only work with little bits of data.

On 12/03/2015 10:32 PM, Michael Wojcik wrote:
From: openssl-users [mailto:openssl-users-boun...@openssl.org] On Behalf
Of Jakob Bohm
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2015 21:11
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: [openssl-users] explicitly including other ciphers.

On 04/12/2015 03:03, Michael Wojcik wrote:
So rather than connecting directly to Apache, how about connecting to a
TLS proxy like stunnel, which would then connect to Apache over vanilla
HTTP. Configure Apache to only bind to loopback addresses (127/8 and/or
::1), so no one can bypass the proxy.

Wouldn't that extra hop via stunnel cost performance
(noting that Ron is apparently running at faster than
gigabit speed).

Yes, but depending on the actual application behavior, it might be negligible
compared to the cost of certificate validation and the like. I don't know
enough about the situation to guess whether the impact would be an issue, so I
thought I'd propose this as one possible alternative.

The application might even be such that a caching proxy could be used in front
of Apache for a performance gain - for example if the same content is re-read
frequently and the HTTP cache control mechanisms allow it to be usefully cached.