On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 4:19 PM Michael Wojcik
<michael.woj...@microfocus.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure how "infamous" it is, as I've never heard of it, even in
passing. :-)

> And here on the openssl-users list there are people with widely varying
> experience with and understanding of these matters; and the list is archived
> in various places, which means there's some chance someone will read these
> notes years from now. Many of those people don't have the time to become
> experts in PKI, and will want to be able to search for additional information
> based on what they see here.

Yeah, that would be me. :-)

> So it's useful to try to be very precise in our terminology.

You're right, of course.

> Often, for example, the cognoscenti will refer to a certificate's "purpose".
> That's an ambiguous term. In context it might refer to Basic Constraints, or
> Key Usage, or Extended Key Usage, or even the old Netscape Cert Type; it
> might refer to something inferred from other attributes (if Subject DN is the
> same as Issuer DN, then it's self-signed and possibly a root); or it might
> refer to something particular to its PKI or application, and not actually an
> attribute of the certificate at all. That's fine when we all understand what
> we're talking about. On the list, however, it's best to be explicit: "EKU
> should include TSL Web Server Authentication for this type of certificate"
> and so forth.
>
> For some readers, using "CA" and "certificate" interchangeably could be very
> confusing.
>
> So I'm not being pedantic just for its own sake (I can yell at the television
> for that). Apologies if it came across that way.

I get it. Sorry I snapped. No apologies needed on your side.

--

Mike. Leone, <mailto:tur...@mike-leone.com>

This space reserved for future witticisms ...