On 18 July 2013 08:53, Gabriel Hurley <gabriel.hur...@nebula.com> wrote:
> I spent a bunch of time working with and understanding Heat in H2, and I find
> myself with one overarching question which I wonder if anyone's thought about
> or even answered already...
>
> At present, the CloudFormation template format is the first-class means of
> doing things in Heat. CloudFormation was created for Amazon, and Amazon has
> this massive convenience of having a (more or less) static list of images and
> flavors that they control. Therefore in CloudFormation everything is
> specified by a unique, specific name.
>
> OpenStack doesn't have this luxury. We have as many image and flavor names as
> we have deployments. Now, there are simple answers...
>
>   1. Name everything the way Amazon does, or
>   2. Alter your templates.
>
> But personally, I don't like either of these options. I think in the long
> term we win at platform/ecosystem by making it possible to take a template
> off the internet and having it work on *any* OpenStack cloud.
>
> To get there, we need a system that chooses images based on metadata
> (platform, architecture, distro) and flavors based on actual minimum
> requirements.

We do? Why do we?

Note that your characterisation of Amazon is in my experience
inaccurate - a very common pattern there is uploading custom images
(such as those that we build for OpenStack using diskimage-builder).
An OpenStack cloud should let users upload their own images to glance
in the same way, and then you have 3): use golden images, name your
personal images the same in every cloud you burst to; done.

Also note that the presence of golden images makes a 'just fit the
broad characteristics' a more complex problem than perhaps you think
it is... You need some additional 'is it the right built image' aspect
too.

So I would tackle this using 4) provide a mapping layer that bridges
template to cloud and lets you translate:
 - image names
 - flavours
 - keypair
 - perhaps volumes and other things