On Aug 15, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gord...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Sam Harwell <sam.harw...@rackspace.com>
> wrote:
> I like to take a different approach. If my commit message is going to take
> more than a couple lines for people to understand the decisions I made, I go
> and make an issue in the issue tracker before committing locally and then
> reference that issue in the commit message. This helps in a few ways:
>

> 1.       If I find a technical or grammatical error in the commit message, it
> can be corrected.
>
> 2.       Developers can provide feedback on the subject matter independently
> of the implementation, as well as feedback on the implementation itself.
>
> 3.       I like the ability to include formatting and hyperlinks in my
> documentation of the commit.
>

> This pattern has one slight issue, which is:
>
>       • Do not assume the reviewer has access to external web services/site.
> In 6 months time when someone is on a train/plane/coach/beach/pub
> troubleshooting a problem & browsing GIT history, there is no guarantee they
> will have access to the online bug tracker, or online blueprint documents.
> The great step forward with distributed SCM is that you no longer need to be
> "online" to have access to all information about the code repository. The
> commit message should be totally self-contained, to maintain that benefit.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  It can't be true in all cases, so it can
hardly be considered a rule.  A guideline, maybe - something to strive for.
But not all artifacts of the development process are amenable to being stuffed
into code or the commits associated with them.  A dvcs is great and all, but
unless one is working in a silo, online resources are all but mandatory.

m.