On 05/09/13 16:51 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 11:00 -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
On 09/05/2013 10:17 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to request a feature freeze exception for the final (and
> admittedly the largest) patch in the series of 40 patches to port Nova
> to oslo.messaging:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/39929
>
> While this change doesn't provide any immediate user-visible benefit, it
> would be massively helpful in maintaining momentum behind the effort all
> through the Havana cycle to move the RPC code from oslo-incubator into a
> library.
>
> In terms of risk of regression, there is certainly some risk but that
> risk is mitigated by the fact that the core code of each of the
> transport drivers has been modified minimally. The idea was to delay
> re-factoring these drivers until we were sure that we hadn't caused any
> regressions in Nova. The code has been happily passing the
> devstack/tempest based integration tests for 10 days now.

When do you expect major refactoring to happen in oslo.messaging?  I get
that the current code was minimally modified, but I just want to
understand how the timelines line up with the release and ongoing
maintenance of the Havana release.

Yep, good question.

AFAIR we discussed this at the last Oslo IRC meeting and decided that
re-factoring will wait until Icehouse so we can more easily sync fixes
from oslo-incubator to oslo.messaging.

Porting Quantum, Cinder, Ceilometer and Heat, memoving the code from
oslo-incubator and re-factoring the drivers in oslo.messaging would be
goals for early on in the Icehouse cycle.

FWIW, yes, this is what we discussed in the last meeting.

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco