On 11/07/2013 06:41 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
Solum Team,

First of all I wanted to say that I have been thinking a lot about this thread,
and have been seeking input from a number of you who attended the Summit this
week. I do *not* see this decision as a critical one, because if something
really mattered a ton we could rip our one framework and put another in.

What I love about this discussion is that we are having a healthy debate about
different points of view, which was very thought provoking. I have heard input
from skeptics who think that engineering decisions have to be made in a small
group in order to be efficient. I know that thinking is wrong, and it's
examples like these that convince me further that discussions like these help
us make better choices, and make development more efficient over the long run.

We should give the most weight to the preferences of the engineers who will
write and maintain the code. If there are team members who are volunteering to
write and maintain the bulk of our API code over a period of time who really
want Falcon over Pecan, then we should give that fair consideration. The API is
exceedingly important to Solum, and all of us will be working on it, so we need
a choice that all of us can live with.

I suggest that we settle on Pecan+WSME, for the following reasons:

1) It is a known quantity, and is likely to work well for Solum's needs,
considering that Solum is primarily a control plane API system, and that
performance is not a primary motivator.

2) Pecan+WSME allows us to offer data serializations in both JSON and XML to
help satisfy the preferences of the API consumers.

3) It allows us to have multiple models that are loosely coupled, which can aid
in data validation.

4) At this point in time, other OpenStack core/integrated/ecosystem projects
are using Pecan+WSME, and several Solum contributors will be switching between
projects. There is an advantage to a higher level of consistency among various
projects.

I accept that Webob may be problematic for us, that performance may be less
than ideal, and that some Solum developers may dislike working with WSME, and
that Falcon may actually be more pleasant to work with. We have team members
with a deep understanding of Falcon, and could definitely make it work. We can
proceed with Pecan+WSME accepting these (and  other) trade-offs.

Are there any other critically important considerations that we should consider
before converging on this choice? I'd like to hear that input prior to our next
IRC meeting.

None that I can think of. I'll get behind the decision, then, and if all are in consensus, I'll abandon the Falcon API patch.

We do need to get the Pecan/WSME patch to pass the gates though :) Doug, I'm hoping you might give Noorul a hand with that next week upon your return from Hong Kong?

All the best,
-jay