Hi Mike,

It might be easier to reduce the size of certain columns today. We have an enormous amount of wasted space in the tables today. Reducing them would make things more efficient regardless of the database engine being used. On the flip side, if we were using SQL Alchemy properly and not hard coding SQL statements, we could make the database back-end more agnostic. It would be a major project to fix this across all of the services today, but that may be the right thing to do in the long term. InnoDB has it's own scaling issues and at some point a larger shop (telco or cloud provider) will want other options.

Thanks,
Octave