Excerpts from Ian Cordasco's message of 2017-02-13 15:15:12 -0500:

Sounds like this was a high level solution that I don't fully understand,
so I'll stop bikeshedding it. But generally I'd say for most OpenStack
services you want to stay low-level whenever possible.

And of course the actual binaries would not be in git. But the metadata
about them would be, which would allow things like bisection,
annotation, etc.