On 05/20/2017 12:04 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Fri, May 19 2017, Mike Bayer wrote:

IMO that's a bug for them.

Of course it's a bug. IIRC Mehdi tried to fix it without much success.

I'm inspired to see that Keystone, Nova etc. are
able to move between and eventlet backend and a mod_wsgi backend.    IMO
eventlet is really not needed for those services that present a REST interface.
Although for a message queue with lots of long-running connections that receive
events, that's a place where I *would* want to use a polling / non-blocking
model.  But I'd use it explicitly, not with monkeypatching.

+1

I'd ask why not oslo.cotyledon but it seems there's a faction here that is
overall moving out of the Openstack umbrella in any case.

Not oslo because it can be used by other projects than just OpenStack.
And it's a condition of success. As Mehdi said, Oslo has been deserted
in the recent cycles, so putting a lib there as very little chance of
seeing its community and maintenance help grow. Whereas trying to reach
the whole Python ecosystem is more likely to get traction.

As a maintainer of SQLAlchemy I'm surprised you even suggest that. Or do
you plan on doing oslo.sqlalchemy? ;)

I do oslo.db (which also is not "abandoned" in any way). the point of oslo is that it is an openstack-centric mediation layer between some common service/library and openstack.

it looks like there already is essentially such a layer for cotyledon. I'd just name it "oslo.cotyledon" :) or oslo. something. We have a moose. It's cool.

Basically I think openstack should be getting off eventlet in a big way so I
guess my sentiment here is that the Gnocchi / Cotyledon /etc. faction is just
splitting off rather than serving as any kind of direction for the rest of
Openstack to start looking.  But that's only an impression, maybe projects will
use Cotyledon anyway.   If every project goes off and uses something completely
different though, then I think we're losing.   The point of oslo was to prevent
that.

I understand your concern and opinion. I think you, me and Mehdi don't
have the experience as contributors in OpenStack. I invite you to try
moving any major OpenStack project to something like oslo.service2 or
Cotyledon or to achieve any technical debt resolution in OpenStack to
have a view on hard it is to tackle. Then you'll see where we stand. :)

Sure, that's an area where I think the whole direction of openstack would benefit from more centralized planning, but i have been here just enough to observe that this kind of thing has been discussed before and it is of course very tricky to implement.