On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Mike Bayer <mba...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/08/2017 01:34 PM, Lance Bragstad wrote:
>
>> After digging into etcd a bit, one place this might be help deployer
>> experience would be the handling of fernet keys for token encryption in
>> keystone. Currently, all keys used to encrypt and decrypt tokens are kept
>> on disk for each keystone node in the deployment. While simple, it requires
>> operators to perform rotation on a single node and then push, or sync, the
>> new key set to the rest of the nodes. This must be done in lock step in
>> order to prevent early token invalidation and inconsistent token responses.
>>
>> An alternative would be to keep the keys in etcd and make the fernet bits
>> pluggable so that it's possible to read keys from disk or etcd (pending
>> configuration). The advantage would be that operators could initiate key
>> rotations from any keystone node in the deployment (or using etcd directly)
>> and not have to worry about distributing the new key set. Since etcd
>> associates metadata to the key-value pairs, we might be able to simplify
>> the rotation strategy as well.
>>

> Interesting, I had the mis-conception that "fernet" keys no longer
> required any server-side storage (how is "kept-on-disk" now implemented?) .

Currently - the keys used to encrypt and decrypt fernet tokens are stored
as files on the keystone server. The repositories default location is in
`/etc/keystone/fernet-keys`. The size of this repository is regulated by
the rotation process we provide in keystone-manage tooling [0].

> We've had continuous issues with the pre-fernet Keystone tokens filling up
> databases, even when operators were correctly expunging old tokens; some
> environments just did so many requests that the keystone-token table still
> blew up to where MySQL can no longer delete from it without producing a
> too-large transaction for Galera.

Yep - we actually just fixed a bug related to this [1].

> So after all the "finally fernet solves this problem" we propose, hey lets
> put them *back* in the database :).  That's great.  But, lets please not
> leave "cleaning out old tokens" as some kind of cron/worry-about-it-later
> thing.  that was a terrible architectural decision, with apologies to
> whoever made it.    if you're putting some kind of "we create an infinite,
> rapidly growing, turns-to-garbage-in-30-seconds" kind of data in a
> database, removing that data robustly and ASAP needs to be part of the
> process.

I should have clarified. The idea was to put the keys used to encrypt and
decrypt the tokens in etcd so that synchronizing the repository across a
cluster for keystone nodes is easier for operators (but not without other
operator pain as Kevin pointed out). The tokens themselves will remain
completely non-persistent. Fernet key creation is explicitly controlled by
operators and isn't something that end users generate.

[0]
https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/c528539879e824b8e6d5654292a85ccbee6dcf89/keystone/conf/fernet_tokens.py#L44-L54
[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1649616