On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:20 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The RP uuid is part of the provider: the compute node's uuid, and (after
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469147/ merges) the PCI device's uuid. So
>> in the code that passes the PCI device information to the scheduler, we
>> could add that new uuid field, and then the scheduler would have the
>> information to a) select the best fit and then b) claim it with the specific
>> uuid. Same for all the other nested/shared devices.
>
> How would the scheduler know that a particular SRIOV PF resource provider
> UUID is on a particular compute node unless the placement API returns
> information indicating that SRIOV PF is a child of a particular compute node
> resource provider?

Because PCI devices are per compute node. The HostState object populates itself
from the compute node here:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/scheduler/host_manager.py#L224-L225

<https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/scheduler/host_manager.py#L224-L225>

If we add the UUID information to the PCI device, as the above-mentioned patch
proposes, when the scheduler selects a particular compute node that has the
device, it uses the PCI device’s UUID. I thought that having that information
in the scheduler was what that patch was all about.

-- Ed Leafe