On 10/16/2017 05:31 AM, Nisha Agarwal wrote:
Hi Matt,

As i understand John's spec https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507052/ <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/507052/>, it is actually a replacement for capabilities(qualitative only) for ironic. It doesnt cover the quantitative capabilities as 'traits' are meant only for qualitative capabilities. Quantitative capabilities are covered by resource classes in Nova. We have few (one or two) quantitative capabilities already supported in ironic.

Hi Nisha,

This may be a case of mixed terminology. We do not refer to anything quantitative as a "capability". Rather, we use the term "resource class" (or sometimes just "resource") to represent quantitative things that may be consumed by the instance.

Traits, on the other hand, are qualitative. They represent a binary on/off capability that the compute host (or baremetal node in the case of Ironic) exposes.

There's no limit on the number of traits that may be associated with a particular Ironic baremetal node. However, for Ironic baremetal nodes, if the node.resource_class attribute is set, the Nova Ironic virt driver will create a single inventory record for the node containing a quantity of 1 and a resource class equal to whatever is in the node.resource_class attribute. This resource class is auto-created by Nova as a custom resource class.

Best,
-jay