On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:57 PM, Wan-yen Hsu <wanyen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Nisha's message, "capabilities" refers to "ComputeCapabilitiesFilter".
> "capabilities" provides a lot of flexibility for scheduling.  It supports
> qualitative as well as quantitative attributes.  It supports a variety of
> operators such as ">=", "<", "=", etc.   For instance, with "capabilities",
> one can create a flavor for "GPU_Count >=2".  Quantity matters for workloads.
>  A workload may require at least 2GPUs or at least certain amount of SSD
> capacity to meet the performance requirements.   Trait will help but it only
> supports qualitative attributes.  Therefore, we still need "capabilities".

In your example, you would create a resource class that specifies the number of
GPUs. If there is a machine with no GPU, it would be a different resource class
than a machine with a GPU. Likewise, a machine with 2 GPUs would be a different
class. This gives you the ability to match the request to the need. Saying you
need a machine with at least 2 GPUs means that you could end up with a machine
with 100 GPUs - ok, I know that's not realistic, but it illustrates my point.
Each hardware combination is a separate resource class. If your workload
requires 2 GPUs and SSD, there are a finite number of hardware combinations
available. You pick the flavor (i.e., resource class) that matches your need.

-- Ed Leafe