On 12/06/18 11:44 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
Hi!

We had a decently-sized thread on how to better track organizational diversity, which I think would benefit from a summary.

The issue is that the current method (which uses a formula to apply single-vendor and diverse-affiliation tags) is not working so well anymore, with lots of low-activity projects quickly flapping between states.

I wonder if there's a succint way to present the history rather than just the most recent tag value. As a deployer I can then tell the difference between a project that consistently lacks diverse-affiliation and a project that occasionally or only recently lacks diverse-affiliation.

Suggestions included:

- Drop tags, write a regular report instead that can account for the subtlety of each situation (ttx). One issue here is that it's obviously a lot more work than the current situation.

- Creating a "low-activity" tag that would clearly exempt some teams from diversity tagging (mnaser). One issue is that this tag may drive contributors away from those teams.

- Drop existing tags, and replace them by voluntary tagging on how organizationally-diverse core reviewing is in the team (zaneb). This suggestion triggered a sort of side thread on whether this is actually a current practice. It appears that vertical, vendor-sensitive teams are more likely to adopt such (generally unwritten) rule than horizontal teams where hats are much more invisible.

One important thing to remember is that the diversity tags are supposed to inform deployers, so that they can make informed choices on which component they are comfortable to deploy. So whatever we come up with, it needs to be useful information for deployers, not just a badge of honor for developers, or a statement of team internal policy.

Thoughts on those suggestions? Other suggestions?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)