[...]

I respect that tool choices can make a difference in enabling or
improving our outreach to specific cultures.
I agree there.
I'll commit to
personally rejecting presence on proprietary social media services
so as to demonstrate that public work can be done within our
community while relying exclusively on free/libre open source
software.
It is nice to be in a position to do so. Please don't change! : )
I recognize the existence of the free software movement as
a distinct culture with whom we could do a better job of connecting.
If as a community we promote and embrace non-free tools we will only
continue to alienate them, [...]
I agree again with Jeremy here.

As this was a direct question for the candidates, here is my answer...

There is two layers in this conversation: a personal level, and an official stance on the subject (as discussed in the TC room).

At a personal level,I guess I wouldn't mind myself joining to Wechat, with the hope of being helpful there. As I don't speak this language particularily, I am not sure how I can be more of help there than I can be with speaking an ambassador in a mutually common language (I am also not native english). At the same time, I would be very sad to not use an open tool, because I am not sure what the privacy implications would be. But, pragmatically, I understand the biggest picture here: We want to be more reachable, as increasing community size over time is a must for sustainable software, and if I can be a little help personally, I'd do it.

Before giving my opinion for an official stance as a TC candidate (the other layer), I'd like to ask you a few questions ...

- What is the problem joining Wechat will solve (keeping in mind the language barrier)? - Isn't this problem already solved for other languages with existing initiatives like local ambassadors and i18n team? Why aren't these relevant? - Should we widen this 'Wechat' initiative to all <insert more popular system based on location> systems? - Pardon my ignorance here, what is the problem with email? (I understand some chat systems might be blocked, I thought emails would be fine, and the lowest common denominator).

I also have technical questions about 'wechat' (like how do you use it without a smartphone?) and the relevance of tools we currently use, but this will open Pandora's box, and I'd rather not spend my energy on closing that box right now :D

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)