On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 11:33:52 +0800 (GMT+08:00), Boxiang Zhu wrote:
When I use the LVM backend to create the volume, then attach it to a vm. I can migrate the volume(in-use) from one host to another. The nova libvirt will call the 'rebase' to finish it. But if using ceph backend, it raises exception 'Swap only supports host devices'. So now it does not support to migrate volume(in-use). Does anyone do this work now? Or Is there any way to let me migrate volume(in-use) with ceph backend?

What version of cinder and nova are you using?

I found this question/answer on ask.openstack.org:

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/112954/volume-migration-fails-notimplementederror-swap-only-supports-host-devices/

and it looks like there was some work done on the cinder side [1] to enable migration of in-use volumes with ceph semi-recently (Queens).

On the nova side, the code looks for the source_path in the volume config, and if there is not one present, it raises NotImplementedError(_("Swap only supports host devices"). So in your environment, the volume configs must be missing a source_path.

If you are using at least Queens version, then there must be something additional missing that we would need to do to make the migration work.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/ceph-volume-migrate

Cheers,
-melanie