On 06/05/2014 09:54 AM, Day, Phil wrote:
-----Original Message----- From: Jay Pipes
[mailto:jaypi...@gmail.com] Sent: 04 June 2014 19:23 To:
openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org Subject: Re: [openstack-dev]
[nova] Proposal: Move CPU and memory allocation ratio out of
scheduler

On 06/04/2014 11:56 AM, Day, Phil wrote:
Hi Jay,

* Host aggregates may also have a separate allocation ratio
that overrides any configuration setting that a particular host
may have

So with your proposal would the resource tracker be responsible
for picking and using override values defined as part of an
aggregate that includes the host ?

Not quite sure what you're asking, but I *think* you are asking
whether I am proposing that the host aggregate's allocation ratio
that a compute node might be in would override any allocation ratio
that might be set on the compute node? I would say that no, the
idea would be that the compute node's allocation ratio would
override any host aggregate it might belong to.

I'm not sure why you would want it that way round - aggregates lets
me set/change the value of a number of hosts, and change the set of
hosts that the values apply to.    That in general seems a much
better model for operators that having to manage things on a per host
basis.

Why not keep the current model where an aggregate  setting overrides
the "default" - that will now come from the host config rather that
scheduler config ?

That's actually exactly what I proposed in the blueprint spec:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98664/

Best,
-jay