From: Kyle Mestery [mailto:mest...@mestery.com]
Sent: July-24-14 11:10 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: [openstack-dev] [neutron] [not-only-neutron] How to Contribute
upstream in OpenStack Neutron

I've received a lot of emails lately, mostly private, from people who feel they
are being left out of the Neutron process. I'm unsure if other projects have
people who feel this way, thus the uniquely worded subject above. I wanted to
broadly address these concerns with this email.

One thing I'd like to reiterate for people here, publicly on the list, is that
there is no hidden agendas in Neutron, no political machines in the background
working. As PTL, I've tried to be as transparent as possible. The honest
reality is that if you want to have influence in Neutron or even in OpenStack
in general, get involved upstream. Start committing small patches. Start
looking at bugs. Participate in the weekly meetings. Build relationships
upstream. Work across projects, not just Neutron. None of this is specific to
Neutron or even OpenStack, but in fact is how you work in any upstream Open
Source community.

I'd also like to address the "add more core reviewers to solve all these
problems" angle. While adding more core reviewers is a good thing, we need to
groom core reviewers and meld them into the team.
This takes time, and it's something we in Neutron actively work on.
The process we use is documented here [1].

I'd also like to point out that one of the things I've tried to do in Neutron
as PTL during the Juno cycle is document as much of the process around working
in Neutron. That is all documented on this wiki page here [2]. Feedback on this
is most certainly welcome.

I'm willing to help work with anyone who wants to contribute more to Neutron. I
spend about half of my time doing just this already, between reviews, emails,
and IRC conversations. So please feel free to find me on IRC (mestery on
Freenode), on the ML, or even just use this email address.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronCore
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronPolicies