I too agree this can be useful beyond openstack.

It will great if one of you (experts) can explain in more details how the
python virtual environment is heavyweight than docker containers.

I am just a user of devstack without the nitty gritty details of its inner
workings.
However, I can say that sometimes my Ubuntu VM that has devstack & tempest
tests running exhaust the entire CPU (make the machine unusable) after the
tests are run.

Regards,
Amit
*CloudByte Inc.* <http://www.cloudbyte.com/>