On Nov 13, 2014, at 12:38 AM, Flavio Percoco <fla...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> (oslo.messaging is a critical component of OpenStack, and we’ve lost several
>> of our core reviewers for the library to other priorities recently).
>>
>> There is a new set of contributors interested in maintaining the ZeroMQ
>> driver, and they are going to work together to review each other’s patches.
>> We will re-evaluate keeping ZeroMQ at the end of Kilo, based on how things
>> go this cycle.
>
> I'd like to thank the folks that have stepped up for this driver. It's
> great to see that there's some interest in cleaning it up and
> maintaining it.
>
> That said, if at the end of Kilo the zmq driver is still not in a
> usable/maintainable mode, I'd like us to be more strict with the plans
> forward for it. We asked for support in the last 3 summits with bad
> results for the previous 2 releases.
>
> I don't mean to sound rude and I do believe the folks that have
> stepped up will do a great job. Still, I'd like us to learn from
> previous experiences and have a better plan for this driver (and
> future cases like this one).
>

>> We also talked about the fact that the new version of Kombu includes some of
>> the features we have implemented in our own driver, like heartbeats and
>> connection management. Kombu does not include the calling patterns
>> (cast/call/notifications) that we have in oslo.messaging, but we may be able
>> to remove some code from our driver and consolidate the qpid and rabbit
>> driver code to let Kombu do more of the work for us.
>
> This sounds great. Please, whoever is going to work on this, feel add
> me to the reviews.
>
>> Python 3 support is coming slowly. There are a couple of patches up for
>> review to provide a different sort of executor based on greenio and
>> trollius. Adopting that would require some application-level changes to use
>> co-routines, so it may not be an optimal solution even though it would get
>> us off of eventlet. (During the Python 3 session later in the week we talked
>> about the possibility of fixing eventlet’s monkey-patching to allow us to
>> use the new eventlet under python 3.)
>>
>> We also talked about the way the oslo.messaging API uses URLs to get some
>> settings and configuration options for others. I thought I remembered this
>> being a conscious decision to pass connection-specific parameters in the
>> URL, and “global” parameters via configuration settings. It sounds like that
>> split may not have been implemented as cleanly as originally intended,
>> though. We identified documenting URL parameters as an issue for removing
>> the configuration object, as well as backwards-compatibility. I don’t think
>> we agreed on any specific changes to the API based on this part of the
>> discussion, but please correct me if your recollection is different.
>
> I prefer URL parameters to specify options. As of now, I think we
> treat URL parameters and config options as two different things. Is
> this something we can change and "translate" URL parameters to config

I'd rather go completely with config and have something like
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130047/ which allows for users that don't have
a CLI accessible (aka from other libraries) to actually use oslo.messaging (for
ex, taskflow). I believe url parameters could work, its just that config
already provides typing (ints, bools, lists) and descriptions and urls have
none of this (they also don't have a nested structure, aka grouping, which I
believe some of oslo.messaging is using?).

> I guess if we get to that point, we'd end up asking ourselves: Why
> shouldn't we use just config options in that case?
>
> I think one - historical (?) - answer to that is that we once thought
> about not using oslo.config in oslo.messaging.

So would https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130047/ make that better?

A user that doesn't have access to oslo.config options would then just have to
provide a dictionary of equivalent options. As described in that review (and
pretty obvious) is that not everyone in the python world uses oslo.config
options and therefore we need/must have a compatiblity layer for users to use
if they so choose.

This could then look like the following when used:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8982657/

In all honesty I just want one way that works, if thats URLs or config (IMHO
the only way config will actually work is if we have a interface in oslo.config
like described in 130047 for people that want to use oslo.messaging that are
not applications...) I don't care in the end. I just know that 2 ways (both
seemingly second class citizens) is pretty crappy...