On 5/25/15 10:35 PM, Armando M. wrote:

On 25 May 2015 at 09:46, Mike Bayer <mba...@redhat.com <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 5/25/15 12:34 PM, Armando M. wrote:

    One thing I would like to point out is that in this cycle we'll
    be working extensively in this area to make the very task you are
    working on easier to deal with, and better documented. This will
    fall under the umbrella of the blueprint [1].

    HTH
    Armando

    [1]
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/core-vendor-decomposition

    took a look at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/134680/17, can I
    have some clarification on what "currently alembic requires extra
    work to support multiple db migration paths onto a single
    database"?   Want to make sure you're aware that Alembic supports
    this fully (and my job has been to try to get Openstack projects
    to notice); see

http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/branches.html#working-with-multiple-bases.

The wording might be confusing, my bad.

What I intended there was that neutron's logic to handle alembic migrations required some work in order to simplify the support of out-of-tree DB migrations. Past experiences, like the one that triggered this thread, have shown that we can improve neutron's tooling (neutron-db-manage), as well as documentation.
I wonder if there is some way that out-of-tree migrations can still take place within the migration stream as a whole. As those external trees can be built assuming the central Neutron migration series as a dependency, if their directories are added to the "version_locations" collection before the alembic command line runner invokes the migration, they will form part of the total migration setup for the database. This was one use case I had in mind when building out this feature. The command line runner is extensible so a runtime extension to configuration is feasible.