On 01/06/15 11:57 +0100, John Garbutt wrote:
On 26/05/15 13:54 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
On 5/26/15 12:57 PM, Jesse Cook wrote:
   We also had some hallway talk about putting the v1 and v2 APIs on top
of
   the v3 API. This forces faster adoption, verifies supportability via v1
and
   v2 tests, increases supportability of v1 and v2 APIs, and pushes out
the
   need to kill v1 API.

Let's discuss more as time and development progresses on that possibility.
v3
API should stay EXPERIMENTAL for now as that would help us understand
use-cases
across programs as it gets adopted by various code-bases. Putting v1/v2 on
top
of v3 would be tricky for now as we may have breaking changes with code
being
relatively-less stable due to narrow review domain.

I actually think we'd benefit more from having V2 on top of V3 than
not doing it. I'd probably advocate to make this M material rather
than L but I think it'd be good.

I think regardless of what we do, I'd like to kill v1 as it has a
sharing model that is not secure.

Given v1 has lots of users, killing it will be hard.

If you maintained v1 support as v1 on top of v3 (or v2 I guess), could
you not do something like permanently disable the "bad bits" of the
API?

I agree it'll be hard but, at least for v1, I believe it should
happen. It has some security issues (mostly related to image sharing)
that are not going to be fixed there.

The idea being, users listing their images, and updating image
metadata via v1, don't get broken during the evolution?

The feedback we got at the summit (even from OPs) was that we could go
ahead, mark it as deprecated, give a deprecation period and then turn
it off.

FWIW, moving Nova from glance v1 to glance v2, without breaking Nova's
public API, will require someone getting a big chunk of glance v1 on
top of glance v2.

AFAIK, the biggest issue right now is "changed-since" which is
something Glance doesn't have in v2 but it's exposed throught Nova's
image API.

I'm happy you brought this up. What are Nova's plans to adopt Glance's
v2 ? I heard there was a discussion and something along the lines of
creating a library that wraps both APIs came up.

Where can I find more info about this?

I really think nova should put some more effort on helping this
happen. The work I did[0] - all red now, I swear it wasn't - during
Kilo didn't get enough attention even before we decided to push it
back. Not a complain, really. However, I'd love to see some
cross-project efforts on making this happen.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/144875/

Happy to help,
Flavio

--