On 06/15/2015 04:55 PM, James Page wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On 27/05/15 09:14, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> tl;dr: - We'd like to push distribution packaging of OpenStack on
>> upstream gerrit with reviews. - The intention is to better share
>> the workload, and improve the overall QA for packaging *and*
>> upstream. - The goal is *not* to publish packages upstream -
>> There's an ongoing discussion about using stackforge or openstack.
>> This isn't, IMO, that important, what's important is to get
>> started. - There's an ongoing discussion about using a distribution
>> specific namespace, my own opinion here is that using
>> /openstack-pkg-{deb,rpm} or /stackforge-pkg-{deb,rpm} would be the
>> most convenient because of a number of technical reasons like the
>> amount of Git repository. - Finally, let's not discuss for too long
>> and let's do it!!!
>
> While working to re-align the dependency chain for OpenStack between
> Debian and Ubuntu 15.10, and in preparation for the first Liberty
> milestone, my team and I have been reflecting  on the proposal to make
> Ubuntu and Debian packaging of OpenStack a full OpenStack project.
>
> We’ve come to the conclusion that for Debian and Ubuntu the best place
> for us to collaborate on packaging is actually in the distributions,
> as we do today, and not upstream in OpenStack.
>
> Ubuntu has collaborated effectively with Debian since its inception
> and has an effective set of tools to support the flow of packaging
> (from Debian), bug reports and patches (to Debian) that have proven
> effective, in terms of both efficiency and value, ever since I’ve been
> working across both distributions.
>
> This process allows each distribution to maintain its own direction,
> whilst ensuring that any value that might be derived from
> collaboration is supported with as minimal overhead as possible.
>
> We understand and have communicated from the start of this
> conversation that we will need to be able to maintain deltas between
> Debian and Ubuntu - for both technical reasons, in the way the
> distributions work (think Ubuntu main vs universe), as well as
> objectives that each distribution has in terms of the way packaging
> should work.
>
> We don’t think that’s going to be made any easier by moving all of the
> packaging under the OpenStack project - it just feels like we’re
> trying to push a solved problem somewhere else, and then re-solve it
> in a whole new set of ways.
>
> The problem of managing delta and allowing a good level of
> distribution independence is still going to continue to exist and will
> be more difficult to manage due to the tighter coupling of development
> process and teams than we have today.
>
> On this basis, we're -1 on taking this proposal forward.
>
> That said, we do appreciate that the Ubuntu packaging for OpenStack is
> not as accessible as it might be using Bazaar as a VCS. In order to
> provide a more familiar experience to developers and operators looking
> [...]

James,

During our discussions at the Summit, you seemed to be enthusiastic
about pushing our packaging to Stackforge. Then others told me to "push
it to the /openstack namespace" to make it "more big tent-ish", which
made me very excited about the idea.

So far, I've been very happy of the reboot of our collaboration, and
felt like it was just awesome new atmosphere. So I have to admit I'm a
bit disappointed to read the above, even though I do understand the
reasoning.

Anyway, does this mean that you don't want to push packaging to
/stackforge either, which was the idea we shared at the summit?

I'm a bit lost on what I should do now, as what was exciting was
enabling operation people to contribute. I'll think about it and see
what to do next.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)