On 09/26/2015 12:04 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
+1 from me, although I thought heat was supposed to be this thing?

Maybe there should be a 'warm' project or something ;)

Or we can call it 'bbs' for 'building block service' (obviously not
bulletin board system); ask said service to build a set of blocks into
well defined structures and let it figure out how to make that happen...

This though most definitely requires cross-project agreement though so
I'd hope we can reach that somehow (before creating a halfway done new
orchestration thing that is halfway integrated with a bunch of other
apis that do one quarter of the work in ten different ways).

Indeed, I don't think I understand what need heat is failing to fulfill here? A user can easily have a template that contains a single server and a volume.

Heat's job is to be an API that lets you define a result[1] and then calls the APIs of whatever projects provide those things.

1: in this case, the result is "a working server with network and storage"

Duncan Thomas wrote:
I think there's a place for yet another service breakout from nova -
some sort of like-weight platform orchestration piece, nothing as
complicated or complete as heat, nothing that touches the inside of a
VM, just something that can talk to cinder, nova and neutron (plus I
guess ironic and whatever the container thing is called) and work
through long running / cross-project tasks. I'd probably expect it to
provide a task style interface, e.g. a boot-from-new-volume call returns
a request-id that can then be polled for detailed status.

The existing nova API for this (and any other nova APIs where this makes
sense) can then become a proxy for the new service, so that tenants are
not affected. The nova apis can then be deprecated in slow time.

Anybody else think this could be useful?

--
Ryan Brown / Senior Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.