Victor Stinner wrote:
Le 15/10/2015 17:54, Joshua Harlow a écrit :
I had this problem with deprecation versioning (the debtcollector
library functions take a version="XYZ", removal_version="ABC" params,
see
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/debtcollector/examples.html#further-customizing-the-emitted-messages)

and it is pretty hard to get those two numbers right, especially with
weekly releases and not knowing when a review will merge... I'm not
saying we shouldn't try to do this, but we just have to figure out how
to do it in a smart way.

I hope that we will not release *too* frequently. Oslo libraries are
supposed to be somehow "stable" :-) Past history showed that any minor
change has major impact on the OpenStack CI ;-)

Stability != releasing frequently (which is a good thing to do); stability IMHO is more about having stable API(s) but even with said API(s) bugs happen and new things get added. Overall point taken, we have to be careful (but I would hope this isn't unique to oslo, everyone in the community should be careful because in reality everyone is producing stable API(s) for consumption by someone else).

If we have to choose between "documenting changes with the wrong version
number" and "don't document changes", I pick the wrong version. IHMO
it's better than doc at all.

As I replied to Brant, I don't expect so much issues between doc and
version numbers.

In a few weeks, if we consider that we have too many issues between doc
and versions, it would maybe be time to rethink how we release Oslo
libraries? Maybe our release process should be enhanced to review more
carefully changes before a release?

By the way, Sphinx has a great tool to extract *all* versionchanged and
versionadded. It's super useful to prepare a change log for humans. But
it can also help to check the documentation of changes before a release,
maybe manual check at the beginning?

The most basic check is to compute the diff since the previous release
and check manually all versionadded and versionchanged.

Perhaps there need to be a gerrit based way to add these, so for example
a review submitter would write:

".. versionadded:: $FILL_ME_IN_WHEN_MERGED" and ".. versionchanged::
$FILL_ME_IN_WHEN_MERGED" or something, and gerrit when merging code
would change those into real numbers...

Hey, it remembers me CVS :-D It may work, but such tool has to be
written first ;-) It may also make the release process more complex.
Right now, it's quite simple: pick any Git SHA1 and this hash becomes
your release. No *any* change between this revision and the final release.

+1 I remember that from CVS to, damn, that was a long time ago, ha.

Victor