On 04/08/2016 04:39 PM, John Dickinson wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2016, at 13:35, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>
>> On 2016-04-08 19:42:18 +0200 (+0200), Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>>> There are many ways to game a simple +1 counter, such as +1'ing changes
>>> that already have at least 1x +2, or which already approved, or which need
>>> rechecking...
>> [...]
>>
>> The behavior which baffles me, and also seems to be on the rise
>> lately, is random +1 votes on changes whose commit messages and/or
>> status clearly indicate they should not merged and do not need to be
>> reviewed. I suppose that's another an easy way to avoid the dreaded
>> "disagreements" counter?
>> --
>> Jeremy Stanley
>

> I have been told that some OpenStack on boarding teaches new members of the
> community to do reviews. And they say, effectively, "muddle through as you
> can. You won't understand it all at first, but do your best. When you're
> done, add a +1 and move to the next one"

Oh my, I haven't heard that but I agree, such advice is very unhelpful
and unlikely to help reviewers learn good habits.

I offer up this post from my blog when asked for assistance in how to
review patches:
http://anteaya.info/blog/2013/03/21/reviewing-an-openstack-patch/

The folks who have bothered to read it and work through the steps I
outline do go on to provide useful reviews and gain confidence in their
reviewing.

Thanks John,
Anita.