Chris Dent wrote:
[...]
I don't really know. I'm firmly in the camp that OpenStack needs to
be smaller and more tightly focused if a unitary thing called OpenStack
expects to be any good. So I'm curious about and interested in
strategies for figuring out where the boundaries are.

So that, of course, leads back to the original question: Is OpenStack
supposed to be a unitary.

As a data point, since I heard that question rhetorically asked quite a few times over the past year... There is an old answer to that, since a vote of the PPB (the ancestor of our TC) from June, 2011 which was never overruled or changed afterwards:

"OpenStack is a single product made of a lot of independent, but cooperating, components."

The log is an interesting read: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-06-28-20.06.log.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)