That's sad, how can we fix the fact that users/deployments have gone off into their own silos and may be running their own forks; what went wrong (besides some of the obvious stuff that I think I know about, that others probably don't) that resulted in this happening?

Seems like something we can learn from by reflecting on this and trying to find a path forward (or maybe we just accept there isn't one, idk).