On 8/29/2016 2:40 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
I've been out for a week and not very involved in the resource providers
work, but after talking about the various changes up in the air at the
moment a bunch of us thought it would be helpful to lay out next steps
for the work we want to get done this week.

Keep in mind feature freeze is more or less Thursday 9/1.

Also keep in mind the goal from the midcycle:

"Jay's personal goal for Newton is for the resource tracker to be
writing inventory and allocation data via the placement API. Get the
data pumping into the placement API in Newton so we can start using it
in Ocata."

1. The ResourceTracker work starts here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/358797/

That relies on the placement service being in the service catalog and
will be optional for Newton. There are details to be sorted about
if/when to retry connecting to the placement service with or without
requiring a restart of nova-compute, but I don't think those are too hairy.

Jay is working on changes that go on top of that series to push the
inventory and allocation data from the resource tracker to the placement
service.

Chris Dent pointed out that there is remaining work to do with the
allocation objects in the placement API, but those can be worked in
parallel to the RT work Jay is doing.

2. Chris is going to cleanup the devstack change that adds the placement
service:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/342362/

The main issue is there isn't a separate placement database, at least
not by default, so Chris has to take that into account. In Newton, by
default, the Nova API DB will be used for the placement service. You can
optionally configure a separate placement database with the API DB
schema, but we're not going to test with that as the default in devstack
in Newton since that's most likely not what deployers would be doing in
Newton as the placement service is still optional.

3. I'm going to work on a job that runs in the experimental queue and
enables the placement service. So by default in Newton devstack the
placement service will not be configured or running. With the
experimental queue job we can test the Nova changes with and without the
placement service to make sure we didn't completely screw something up.

--

If I've left something out please add it here.

We're also tracking stuff in this etherpad:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-next

Matt Riedemann