On 7/18/2016 6:36 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
On 07/14/2016 08:07 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
The original concept of quota classes was to allow the default quotas
applied to a tenant to be a function of the type of tenant.  That is,
say you have a tiered setup, where you have gold-, silver-, and
bronze-level customers, with gold having lots of free quota and bronze
having a small amount of quota.  Rather than having to set the quotas
individually for each tenant you created, the idea is that you set the
_class_ of the tenant, and have quotas associated with the classes.
This also has the advantage that, if someone levels up (or down) to
another class of service, all you do is change the tenant's class, and
the new quotas apply immediately.

(By the way, the turnstile integration was not part of turnstile itself;
there's a turnstile plugin to allow it to integrate with nova that's
quota_class-aware, so you could also apply rate limits this way.)

Personally, it wouldn't break my heart if quota classes went away; I
think this level of functionality, if it seems reasonable to include,
should become part of a more unified quota API (which we're still
struggling to come up with anyway) so that everyone gets the benefit…or
perhaps shares the pain? ;)  Anyway, I'm not aware of anyone using this
functionality, though it might be worth asking about on the operators
list—for curiosity's sake, if nothing else.  It would be interesting to
see if anyone would be interested in the original idea, even if the
current implementation doesn't make sense :)

We've already dropped the hook turnstile was using, so I don't see any
reason not to drop this bit as well. I don't think it will work for
anyone with the current code.

I agree that this probably makes way more sense in common quota code
then buried inside of Nova.

    -Sean

Following up on this, I missed the boat for Ocata, but got to talking with melwitt about this again today and while I had it all in my head again I've written a spec for Pike to deprecate the os-quota-class-sets API:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411035/

This essentially means no more custom quota classes (they aren't functional today anyway), and no more controlling global default quota limits via the REST API - that has to be done via the configuration (after the microversion).

Matt Riedemann